Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chevy Volt: Real Solution or Just Another Flashy Toy?

Yesterday, Environmental Capital, an environmental business blog by The Wall Street Journal featured "GM’s New Plan: Fewer Jobs, More Chevy Volt". The post describes GM's plan to cut down on expenses and to enhance the technology present in its new car model, the Chevrolet Volt. Advertised in the following video, the Volt seems very promising.



Unfortunately, seeming like an impressive new option and actually being that are two very different things. In the Wall Street Journal blog, Keith Johnson emphasizes the main criticism of GM's latest endeavor: it is more expensive than cars that use gasoline. While some might argue that there will be savings in the long run due to the money owners would save spending on gas, I have to disagree. Have you looked at your electricity bill lately? Owners will substantially reduce their gas bills, (especially if they travel less than 40 miles between charges) but electricity is not overwhelmingly less expensive.

I must admit that when I first heard about the Volt I was immediately intrigued. I thought it would be a great trade in when my lease is up on the Chevy Cobalt(ironically enough in 2010, the Volt's scheduled release year). When I got the Chevy Cobalt in 2006, the sticker price was about $15,000.00. According to Michael Graham Richard of Treehugger.com, the Chevy Volt will cost closer to $35,000.00. That price is clearly out of the range of most Americans, and during the economic crisis people are even less likely to be able to spend the extra money.

Bottom Line: GM will have to find a way to make the Volt less costly if they intend to see it succeed. There's really no need for the extra features prominently displayed in the above video. If GM eliminates some of the bells and whistles that in my opinion are unnecessary in a car intended for mass production and sale, they might actually have a shot at survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment